Thursday, May 08, 2008

Good night, sweet princess

[Author's note: This article is not intended to be funny or witty or entertain in any way. I am not attempting to grandstand or make any point, nor do I wish to make light of any of the events that occurred in last Saturday's Kentucky Derby. I am simply crushed following the death of Eight Belles.]

I am heartbroken.

I selected Eight Belles, a 20-1 underdog, as my pick to win last Saturday's Kentucky Derby, because she was a filly and recently, my family has become overrun by women (my wife, my dog, and my unborn daughter outnumber me 3 to 1). Nothing about her previous record or comments in the media led me to believe that she had a shot to win, however, the nearing prospect of fatherhood imparted me with a sentimental attachment to the only girl in the race. She was tiny, compared to the other muscular colts in the race, but she was a beautiful little girl and I followed my heart.

Tragically, after running the race of her life and finishing in second place, she suffered two broken ankles and had to be euthanized on the track. I am devastated and sad and without words to sum up my feelings.

I do not feel like writing an article this week. I just want to dedicate this space to the memory of a true fighter and one hell of a woman. Good bye, Eight Belles. I'm proud of you and can only hope to raise a little girl as strong, determined and impressive as you.

Good night, sweet princess.

No comments: